Thursday 20 September 2012

Sedayne : Harvest Myth 2012



The fiddle part was field recorded in a wee medieval chuch somewhere near Dunstable on the morning of Sunday the 16th of September 2012, in passing, on a Zoom H4; the drone part was added on the morning of Thursday the 20th of September in the Barley Temple, Lancashire in real time against the (mostly) unedited fiddle improvisation. The theme is an old one - Harvest Myth - which came to me in a dream some 24 years ago. In the dream I worked in the fields with my ancestors, and this was the melody of their work song, which I made a recording of soon as I woke up. It's been with me ever since, revisited some years by way of renewal and continuity, as is the case here.

The image comes from Whipsnade Zoo, nearby, later on the 16th. I love the colours and patterns of autumn, but the older I get I find myself shrinking more & more from the coming darkness. This music, poised on the equinox and anciently dreadfilled with the prospect of winter, is but one way of dealing with it...

Sedayne : violin / shruti box / drone : ka-pro, doromb, birds, beasts, flanger, delay, overtone flute.


No comments:

Post a Comment